Battle of the Bands Criteria for Judging
Planning/Preparedness – 20%
* Evidence of performance planning
* Preparation. Tuning – were the instruments and equipment made ready prior to performance? Did the band start on time?
* Evidence of rehearsal e.g. lyrics learnt etc? Appeared ready and prepared to play?
Originality – 30%
* Material. How unique did the songs sound? Did the songs fit the set? Did the songs fit the genre?
* Appearance. Did the band look original? Did the band stand out?
* Improvisation. Did the band demonstrate any level of original improvisational skill? I.e. ‘jam out’ or vocal through an instrument change, repair or equipment failure
Interface with audience – 10%
* Verbal Interaction? Did the band introduce themselves at all? Did the band talk to or with the audience?
* Physical Interaction? Did the band physically participate with the audience e.g. Eye contact, head nod, acknowledgments, waving, gesturing, dancing with the audience or giving hand signals.
* Confidence. Was the band confident in their interaction with the audience?
Quality of performance – 20%
* Confidence/Competence. Did the band look at ease whilst playing? Did the band appear to be able to do what they wanted to do?
* Set Dynamism. Did the band’s setlist appear to play according to a plan i.e. was it well constructed and able to manipulate the audience’s mood?
* Stage Presence. Did the band use the stage effectively? Did the band appear positive about their performance? Did the band interact effectively on stage? How did the band cope with any problems they may have encountered?
* Conformance to contest rules. Did the band followed the rules stated in the contest i.e. time limit, profanity?
Presentation – 20%
* Attitude. Did the band’s on-stage attitude appear suitable to their genre i.e. were they ‘Punk’ if Punk, ‘Raucous’ if Rock?
* Appearance. Did the band show personality on stage? Did the band appear to enjoy what they were doing?
* Entertainment factor/Showmanship. Did the band entertain? Did one or the entire band display showmanship towards the crowd?